2 months ago
Monday, August 21, 2006
Allergy Testing
We saw our first allergist today. (I say first because I don't know if we will be going back to her.) Because Emma is on Axid for reflux we aren't able to do skin testing. Emma had to have a blood draw for testing. She was so good! Page was on the floor crying because they were hurting Emma and Emma was just sitting there watching them stick the needle in her arm. She did not even cry. I am seriously wondering if she can feel pain. What child doesn't cry when they get a needle poked in their arm?! Anyway, we should have some results on Thursday about milk, soy and chickpeas. (Sherry, I did not read your post about the sesame until we got back and the doctor did not offer to do any other testing at this point. I am, however, going to talk to her Thursday about it when she calls back with the results.) I am also currently looking for a GI specialist and a new pediatrician so that we can figure out what is going on with Emma and start working on a solution. We had such a great pediatrician and allergist in Baton Rouge. I so miss having such a great network of doctors. I am sure they exist in Dallas, I just haven't found them yet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





7 comments:
Well, ya know I work for an allergist! You should come see us. My doctor that I work with is wonderful with children! Stomach meds will somewhat hinder an allergic reaction so skin testing may not be accurate. If you have ANY questions, call me. If you want an appt, call me. We have wonderful specialists here - especially in allergy. Let me know what they find out.
Michele, Zantac is such a common thing these days with newborns. Was he having reflux that badly? What other GI problems is he having? Let me know.
Sesame is becoming one of the top allergens so it very well could be that but it may have had some soy or other things in it that she reacted to...what type of reaction did she have?
she broke out in hives wherever the hummus toughed her skin. around her mouth and on her hands and chest. she had a rash on her bottom that night too. her eyes and face got a little puffy, but no problems breathing so we gave her benadryl and after about an hour it went away.
michele, emma was screaming all the time. she had bad stomach cramps and was very gassy, she was on gas drops around the clock! it was not until she was 2 months old that the dr.'s decided to put her on axid, it is like zantac but without alcohol in it. i was breatfeeding and eliminating all milk, soy and caffiene from my diet. she was still having a lot of gas and spitting up so I stopped nursing and started her on formula. she had bad reactions like spitting up, more gas and bad rashes around her rectum, to milk and soy so we had to go to nutamigen, a hypoallergenic formula. she has had bouts of diarehea and stomach problems off and on since she was a baby. the axid and nutramigen combo work the best, but she still has problems. if the reflux medicine and the soy don't work you may have to go to a hypoallergenic formula. i am so sorry to hear what you are going through. i remember only too well how hard that is to hear your baby crying all the time and not being able to fix it. you can call me tonight if you want more details about what we went through at 972-302-2324.
Oh that's rough for all of you! Libby had reflux... she seemed to spit up around the clock... even if it had been quite a while since her last bottle... I was told to get used to doing extra laundry... unless she seemed to be in pain (she said if she wakes from a nap arching her back and screaming) then they'd do zantac... but thankfully she didn't... she did arch while eating... but they didn't seem overly concerned.
Good luck all of you! I pray everyday that Libby doesn't have a reaction to anything... ick...
Oh and hummus is chickpeas... I checked the container... is sesame used in the production too??? I should go look.
It is usually chickpea and Tahini...tahini is sesame. Darn labeling!
Good to know! Thanks Sherry!
Post a Comment