Sunday, January 14, 2007

Sisters Sharing A Room

We had decided to move the girls in together a few months before the new baby was born. Last week Page asked me if she and Emma could sleep together. I thought now would be great timing after that comment. I started talking it up to get them excited for a few days and then Will moved the crib into Page's room Friday night. Let me just say it did not go well! Emma screamed her head off for almost 2 hours straight. I sat in the rocking chair holding her and trying to comfort her until I was so angry about the change myself that I almost moved her back into her own room that very night. I thought I could rock her to sleep and just put her in her bed but Page was crying too and couldn't sleep either; it was a disaster all around. They did eventually fall asleep but only for a few hours. Saturday proved to be even harder. Neither one took a nap and all four of us were sick with the same yucky bug that everyone seems to have right now. I was so tired and sick and EMOTIONAL that I cried frequently on Saturday. At one point Will hung a sheet in between the beds to try to help. That only got Emma standing up on her toes trying to see over it and Page kept getting out of bed to peek around the corner. Saturday night went a little better simply because they were exhausted! We put Emma to bed first with very little screaming and then Page to bed about 30 minutes later once Emma was already asleep. I was not expecting Emma to have such a strong response to changing rooms. I guess I underestimated her attachment to her room. I think we will definitely wait a while to change her from a crib to a toddler bed. Page made the transition at 22 months with no trouble whatsoever. I am thinking it might be a little while longer for Emma.

6 comments:

NIKKI said...

AWW I am sure it will get better!! My two love to jump in their cribs and laugh at each other in the morning. They have always been in the same room. I agree...mine aren't going to a big girl bed any time soon :)
Hopefully they will get used to each other being in the same room...and LOVE it!!

Bridget said...

Good luck! Libby hasn't wanted to sleep anywhere but her crib at night since she was 5months old... she will fuss and wake frequently when we're out of town (and then for a week or so when we get home).
I hope the transition doesn't take too long! Good luck!

Jamie said...

Poor girls. It will probably just take time for them to get used to it. Jennifer and I shared a bedroom for many years (we used the other bedroom as a play room) then I had enough of her and asked for my own room :-)

Sherry said...

I am sure that they will start to love it!! It'll just take time. Emma is at a hard age for adjustment right now. Must be really tough on you being pregnant and emotional! Hope they get to liking living with each other :)

Jennifer Walker said...

Whatever Jamie. I kicked you out. But I did love having my sister as my roommie when we were kids.

Good luck Kerri.

Adrienne said...

Sounds rough! I hope it gets better for all of you soon.