Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Modified Barium Swallow


Liam had his Barium study today. He is such a little stinker. I told the speech therapist that he won't take a bottle so she set up the study with bottles and syringes. We have been trying for 2 months to get him to take a bottle! That little boy sucked down 2 ounces of barium from a bottle in no time. In fact, his suck was so strong that they had to switch the nipple to a slow flow one so that he wouldn't get so much in at one time. The study showed no aspiration from the liquidy Barium and only one aspiration from the thick barium which can be resolved by making him suck on my finger or a pacifier after meals. So the good news is that aspiration is not the cause for his not eating and I can continue to nurse. On the other hand we are back to square one. We don't know what is causing him to not eat. We see the GI again on Wednesday to evaluate where to go from here.

5 comments:

Adrienne said...

I'm so glad everything went well for the test.

Bridget said...

I hope you got that bottle! lol. ;) Glad the test went well. Good luck with his appointment!

Rachel/Josh said...

My sister is a speech therapist so I shared this with her. She has only been able to observe this procedure since her job is in the school system but isn't it so strange how they can test for these things. I'm glad you have one thing you know it is not, now hopefully they can focus on another option.

Sherry said...

Maybe he will start taking the bottle now. I will keep my fingers crossed that things start to get better.

Michele said...

That is funny about the bottle. Maybe it's a step in the right direction???