Monday, May 19, 2008

Bank Robbery

No kidding, we were involved in a bank robbery today, me and all three kids! We actually went into the bank today because we put in an offer on a house in Frisco last night and it was accepted so we had to go in to get a certified check. But when we got there Emma said she had to go to the bathroom. They were kind enough to let us into the back so she could go. We then went to the teller and got what we needed. While we were waiting for the teller to finish up Page tells me that she needs to go to the bathroom. I asked her if she could wait until we were done and she said yes. The teller offered to open up the back again for Page to go. We thanked her and went on back. While we were in there two men came in to rob the bank, at gun point! When we finished up in the bathroom we came out and were standing in front of the locked door that opened up into the lobby. Page and Emma opened it together and stepped out into the lobby while I finished opening it for all of us to leave. It was as I stepped into the lobby that I saw a man waving a gun in the girls' face yelling at them to "stay right there, stay right there!" I was still holding the door open and grabbed the girls by their hair and pulled them back into the hallway and slammed the door shut with all of my might. We ran to the last room down the hallway which happened to be the break room and I put all three kids under the sink and sat down in front of them. Page was crying, Liam was fighting me and Emma was asking questions about what was going on. I was praying. I prayed that God would not allow the men to get back there. I prayed that he would erase the image of that man and his gun from their minds. I prayed that fear would not be given a foothold into their lives. And I prayed that I would be able to keep it together in front of my children.
After what seemed like forever the manager came back there to find us. She told us that they were gone and that the police were on their way. She got my kids lollipops and bottled water. She said that no one had been hurt and then she started crying. I wanted to get up and hug her, but I couldn't bear to leave my frightened children for even a second. She left and came back with some paperwork for me to fill out and turned on a television for the kids. It was pointless, all they did was ask me question after question. I was shaking like a leaf trying to dial Will's work and let him know what had happened. The police got there, 30 minutes later, and took my statement and walked me to my car after I told them that my baby needed to eat and I had to get home. I offered to meet with the detective later and they agreed that would be fine.
I can't tell you how grateful I am that God protected me and my kids! There are no words to describe the utter helplessness I felt at that moment and to know that my God, creator of the universe, was there protecting me and my family is so humbling. When we got home we talked about it some more and then we prayed together. We prayed for the men who robbed the bank today. Page asked God to give them nice hearts and Emma prayed that God would save them. They know that the men are in jail and that what they were doing was wrong. But the also know that God protected us and was there with us. Please pray for them, I really don't know how this will affect them. It is not something a child should ever have to see!

9 comments:

Sherry said...

Kerri!!! I was tearing up reading that. How awful for you and the kids to go thtough something so horrible. I will keep you all in my prayers. The wonderful thing about kids is that they are resilient and they forget. I am sure that it will haunt you more than them. Please take some time and recover from that experience. If you need anything, please call. I am so sorry that you all had to go through that. I am praying for you all.

Sherry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bridget said...

OH KERRI!!! How terrifying! It sounds like you handled yourself very well. I'm sure your babies will not remember it... if anything it will end up being one of those "remember when" stories that they don't really remember, but know happened. Thank God you all are ok! I hope you recover from this quickly. I just cannot imagine! I love the innocence of your girls and their prayers for the bank robbers. It's so hard as an adult to look at it that way and to pray for them. Society is so fixated on people being victims. But to hear a child pray for someone who scared them... not many adults would focus on the robbers' need for prayer and not their own experience or fear. Amazing.

Rachel/Josh said...

I am thankful that you are all okay. We will pray for peace.

NIKKI said...

Oh Kerri-
I was just in schock reading this. I am sooo glad you are ok! Amazing the hearts you and your beautiful girls have. Hoping it all fades from your memories over time!!!
HUGE HUGS!!!!!!!!!

Michele said...

Oh my gosh, that is just the craziest thing ever! I cannot believe that happened.

Sounds like your motherly instincts kicked in high gear and you did everything right. God was certainly with everyone in the bank that day.

Adrienne said...

Wow! I don't know what to say. That is so terrifying for you and the kids. I'm so glad it turned out ok. I just can't believe it.

Curdie said...

Wow, Kerri. I'm so glad the men didn't follow you.

I'll be praying for your children's minds and hearts.

Laura

Gina Ferrara said...

your children are so compassionate. i'm glad y'all are okay.