Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The Kiss


Seriously, I am not ready for this. Page and her new friend, who happens to live next door to us, have kissed. She told Will and me while praying together tonight. She said that she didn't want to play at their house anymore because it made her feel funny inside. I had to seriously control myself not to fly off the deep end. I was so upset. I remained calm and kept asking questions. Evidently, his older brother, who is 9, had some friends over and they were pushing them to kiss each other. I went next door to talk to his parents about it and thankfully they felt the same way that we did about it. (The dad did say that he had asked for some money tonight to buy Page a present. I am so not ready for this!!!) We told Page that kissing was for mommies and daddies and that she was not allowed to kiss boys until she got married. Her response was that she and the little boy were going to get married. Um, okay, you are 5. And only newly 5. You have no idea who you are going to marry. If that boy happens to be your husband then you can kiss him after you get married, in 20 or so years! That wasn't too harsh was it? Anyway, she won't be playing at his house anymore, it will have to be over here. Right now Page doesn't even want that, she said that she doesn't want to play with them anymore at all because she didn't like what they did. I feel like this has really affected her, and I am so heartbroken for my little girl. Her first kiss will be to the boy next door because a bunch of older boys coerced them into doing it. I am kinda mad too. I want to protect my daughter's innocence and purity until she can do that for herself and I feel like I have failed her.

7 comments:

Sherry said...

Seriously - no kissing until she's married? I do not think that you have failed her. Kids at this age develop their conscience and she probably just did not like kissing him and I am sure that it was awkward being that it was coerced - kids definitely feel a sense of awkward. They also have a knowledge of what mommy and daddy do and do not want them to do. Give her a day or two, she'll move on from this!

Anonymous said...

Exactly. Let it go. You harp on it, and she will be scard for life. Remember when you were young. Little girl crushes and gifts from a boy in class.She will forget it. Mom

Anonymous said...

Exactly. Let it go. You harp on it, and she will be scard for life. Remember when you were young. Little girl crushes and gifts from a boy in class.She will forget it. Mom

Cherie said...

I agree with your Mom and Sherry. This will pass and she will forget about it soon enough. You haven't failed as a mother, and there are far bigger things to concentrate on.

Have a great New Year!

Joel, Melody, Grant, and Kate said...

Kerri, I had a similar experience when I was a year or two older than Page. I remember getting into trouble but that was the end of it. Joel is still the first boy I ever kissed! ('cause I really only remember getting into trouble and not the actual kissing)

Stop beating yourself up about it. Kids do things like that. Now if she is 15 and sleeping with the boy next door....then you might have failed her!

One more thing: we both had older siblings around too so I'm sure they had something to do with it!

Curdie said...

I think it's a big deal. :(

I'm sorry, Kerri.

Bridget said...

Oh my! You have not failed her! I agree with the others... she probably won't even remember it if you don't make a huge deal out of it. My best friend (preschool bff)'s brothers made us kiss. He and I didn't want to... our mothers did not make a big fuss over it other than the brothers getting in trouble for making us... I don't remember it other than my mom telling me the story well later down the road and our friendship was fine (until he moved to LA 2 years later). I was about Page's age. Just take it as a learning opportunity... to not be pressured into doing something she doesn't want to. A kiss is not evil... she should know it's an act of love or affection... not something to be ashamed of. Being forced to do something, that isn't right. That's the lesson. Don't stress over it! (((hugs)))